Getting a flu shot at UHS – UT Students Only
NOTE: The influenza vaccine administered at UHS is a quadrivalent vaccine that protects against four strains of the flu. It does not contain preservatives (thimerosal).
UT faculty and staff should visit a pharmacy that administers the vaccine or contact their healthcare provider.
The flu shot does not cause the flu.
Getting the flu shot will not cause you to get the flu. The vaccine administered by UHS contains an inactivated virus, which means the virus has been killed.
UHS Flu shot costs, insurance, and payment methods
Insurance billed for:
- Students with health insurance (except for HMO plans, plans underwritten by insurance companies based outside the United States, or government plans such as Medicare and Medicaid). Must present UT ID and insurance card or provide complete insurance information. If your insurance does not cover the cost of the flu shot at UHS, a $10 charge will be posted to your What I Owe
$10 charge for:
- Students who do not have insurance, or who have HMO plans or insurance plans with companies based outside of the United States or government plans such as Medicare and Medicaid).
- You don’t have to pay at the time you get your flu shot. UHS can bill your What I Owe.
Speed up your flu shot check-in!
FIRST - If you haven’t already done so, enter your insurance information online before your appointment. Click MyUHS Patient Portal and:
- Log in
- Click "Messages" on the left side of the screen.
- Click "New Message."
- Click "I want to submit my insurance information" and follow the instructions.
SECOND– While you’re at MyUHS Patient Portal, and if you haven’t already done so, follow directions to complete your medical history, give your consent to treatment and acknowledge that you’ve read the UHS Charges Policy and Notice of Privacy Practices.
Information on preventing the flu, flu symptoms, what to do if you're sick, and medical treatment and self-care for the flu.